IFAD-Project Implementation Unit
Program Management Unit (PMU)
Ministry of Agriculture Annex
University of Liberia Campus, Fendell
Terms of Reference for Procurement Officer & Farmer Field School Officer
Brief overview of IFAD-funded activities in Liberia
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is a long-time trusted partner of the
Government of Liberia. IFAD’s Results-Based Country Strategic Opportunities Programme (RBCOSOP) 2020-2024 has the overall goal to increase income and employment opportunities for
rural men and women while building resilience to climate change and food insecurity. The strategic
objectives of the COSOP are to: Enhance the performance and inclusiveness of value chains that
offer job opportunities, wealth creation, food and nutrition security for rural people, including poor
households, women and youth. Contribute to an enabling environment for pro-poor policy
development and enhance the capacity of the public sector in Liberia to deliver services to the rural
poor. Currently, IFAD’s portfolio in Liberia includes three (3) ongoing projects:
The Rural Community Finance Project (RCFP). The project includes an IFAD loan of
US$ 5.5 million and a grant of US$ 0.5 million and will improve access to rural financial services
on a sustainable basis, enabling the development of the rural sector. It incorporates lessons-learnt
on financial inclusion from Sierra Leone, where the IFAD-financed RFCIP helped establish a large
network of Rural Financial Institutions, including both Financial Services Associations and
Community Banks. The project started implementation in the second quarter of 2019.
The Tree Crops Extension Project Phase I (TCEP-I). TCEP-I includes an IFAD loan of US$
13 million and an Adaptation for Smallholder Agriculture Programme (ASAP) grant of US$ 4.5
million. The project will work towards developing a viable and sustainable smallholder cocoa subsector in Liberia’s main producing belt.
The TCEP is intervening in Nimba County, in at least 8 statutory districts. Its duration is 6 years.
The TCEP will adopt a value chain approach to link cocoa farmers, organized at grassroots level
in traditional community-based labor groups and Farmers Field Schools (FFS), to markets and
services through cooperatives and Private Sector Partners (PSPs).
The Tree Crops Extension Project Phase II (TCEP-II). Additional financing of US$23.8
million provided as part of the TCEP-II was approved by IFAD’s Executive Board in December
2018 and was signed and ratified by the Liberian Government in September 2019. The TCEP-II
financing will be prioritized in Lofa County with the possibility to include areas in other counties
with comparable socio-economic and agronomic conditions.
Country Programme Approach
The Ministry of Agriculture is the implementing Agency for this and all IFAD funded projects in
Liberia through a dedicated Programme Implementation Unit (PIU). It is thought that a single
Programme Management Unit with the required additional thematic expertise in the team
depending on the projects within the programme would be cost effective, while facilitating cross
learning and knowledge management and building synergies between projects. The below vacancy
is positioned within the PIU and will be working on the TCEP/TCEP-II project.
Post Title: Procurement Officer
Reports to: Project Coordinator, IFAD-PIU Projects
Programme Management Unit (PMU)
Ministry of Agriculture
Primary Location: Monrovia
Start Date: 1 June 2020
Contract Period: One (1) year renewable
Key results expected / major functional activities include:
Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Procurement Officer will specifically:
• Provide supervisory role to the procurement unit ensuring that all procurement activities
are in conformity with the procurement regulations and procedures applicable to the IFAD
• Ensure the all procurement plans are done based on the AWPB and the Programme
needs/requirements in terms of procurements.
• Serve as a Secretary of the Procurement Committee and evaluation committees.
• Manage the procurement tracking database system (Tomache and NOTUS) and ensure all
procurements are updated in the system on a timely basis.
• Prepare all bidding documents and related advertisements;
• Review all terms of reference and technical specifications prepared by technical staff.
• Organize the bid opening, evaluation and selection processes and ensure minutes are done
on a timely manner;
• Compile and confidentially keep reports, documents, and records of all SCP-GAFSP
procurement activities for transparency and ease of reference; maintain procurement files.
• Update the contract’s registry on a regular basis.
• Prepare periodic reports on the status of procurement for the project.
• Maintain a close liaison with IFAD pertaining to procurement.
• Assist the project coordinator in management of recruitment process for individual
• Innovative Performer able to generate innovative solutions, assess risk, make decisions and
take accountability for his/her actions.
• Leader able to combine strong management, organizational and leadership skills with
insight, seeking continual improvement and collaborative engagement within the team;
able to achieve results through motivating people and influencing partners.
• Planner/organizer able to meet tight deadlines in a high-pressure and high-energy
environment; flexible and able to multi-task.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Minimum recruitment qualifications
Education: A degree in Economics, Logistics, Supply Chain Management, Operations
Management, Finance or Engineering, Mathematics, or Statistics.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years working experience in procurement within Government and/or
All applications MUST be sent via email to: email@example.com or Apply through the system below.
The Recruitment Team
Program Management Unit
Ministry of Agriculture, Liberia
Note: Applicant MUST indicate in the email subject, the Title of the Position
he/she is applying for.
Closing Date: May 24, 2020 by 5pm GMT
Qualified Female candidate are highly encouraged to Apply.