Location: Careysburg, Liberia
Start Date: June 1, 2020
Position: Full-time (40 hours per week)
Working Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
Contract Length: 1 year
Report to: Board of Directors
LEAD Monrovia Football Academy opened in 2015 as the first school in Liberia to combine high-quality education with
professional football training. In the 2020-21 school year, we project to have 75 boys and 60 girls, ages 8-16, in grades 3-9.
Our students will live at our campus in Careysburg. We provide them with high-quality academic classes, elite football
training, healthcare, life skills lessons, pastoral care, and three nutritious meals per day. The academy is a LEAD academy.
This is an exciting opportunity for an ethical, empathetic, and entrepreneurial leader to advance LEAD Monrovia Football
Academy’s mission and expand its impact. The Executive Director will partner with the Board of Directors and Co-Founder
& Football Director to set the strategic vision for LEAD MFA’s short and long-term growth while maintaining its high
caliber programs and deep relationships within the broader Liberian community. The Executive Director will report to LEAD
MFA’s Board of Directors. The Executive Director will work closely with the Co-Founder & Football Director to achieve
three key responsibilities: 1) strategic thinking and vision setting, 2) organizational leadership, and 3) relationship building.
1. Strategic Thinking & Vision Setting:
• Provide vision, direction, and oversight for LEAD MFA, allowing the organization to achieve its goals in the
short and long term;
• Establish academy-wide annual goals that are both ambitious and realistic, and aligned with LEAD MFA’s
strategic vision and growth objectives;
• Collaborate with the Board of Directors and Co-Founder & Football Director to continuously improve LEAD
MFA’s strategy, fundraising, programs, and operations;
• Partner with the Board President and Co-Founder & Football Director to enhance the efficacy of the academy’s
Board of Directors;
• Manage a significant volume of work that ranges from strategic to tactical, shifting nimbly between high-level
strategic priorities and immediate operational priorities;
• Identify new ideas for improvement – create, ideate, innovate. Try new concepts and dream of big things that
allow the academy to strengthen and grow.
2. Organizational Leadership:
• Work with the Co-Founder & Football Director to coach, develop, manage, and lead the academy’s team of
full- and part-time staff members;
• Lead the creation and reinforcement of a fun, safe, and collaborative working environment;
• Provide executive oversight across key aspects of LEAD MFA’s multi-faceted programming (e.g., planning,
implementation, evaluation, etc.);
• Work with the Operations Director to build and design processes, systems, and protocols needed to ensure
operational excellence and prepare for LEAD MFA’s growth;
• Set the tone by working professionally, communicating effectively, dressing appropriately, and maintaining a
high-performance, low-stress work environment.
3. Relationship Building:
• Serve as a key external voice and representative for LEAD MFA, acting alongside the Co-Founder & Football
Director as an ambassador and advocate with all stakeholders;
• Nurture relationships within LEAD MFA’s community (e.g., student-athletes, parents, staff, program partners,
etc.) to foster programmatic excellence and overall development of the LEAD MFA community;
• Cultivate and support local supporters to expand LEAD MFA’s visibility.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
• Minimum Bachelor’s Degree (preferably a Master’s Degree) in Business Administration, Nonprofit Management,
Finance, or any field within the Social Sciences;
• 5+ years of experience with increasing levels of responsibility leading a diverse cross-section of organizational
functions, including strategic and operational planning, fundraising, developing and executing programs, building
teams, and conducting financial management and compliance;
• You are committed to and moved by LEAD MFA’s mission to empower Liberia’s future leaders through quality
education and sport;
• You believe in the importance of cultivating an inclusive, warm, and loving community;
• You are energized by working in a fast-paced, start-up environment where you balance competing priorities with
long-term strategic goals and immediate organizational needs;
• You are disciplined, energized, and capable of executing ambitious plans with limited resources;
• You possess exceptional strategic thinking and problem-solving skills;
• You have strong relationship building skills, with a track record of establishing buy-in across stakeholders and
influencing diverse groups of individuals and networks to achieve outcomes;
• You are an exceptional communicator and storyteller – both in written and verbal forms;
• You thrive when coaching and managing others through change; you are confident leading staff one-on-ones,
planning meetings, quarterly check-ins, and even having difficult conversations when necessary – and you are
driven to promote a positive and supportive team culture;
• You have a passion for sports;
• You are confident developing and managing an annual budget in partnership with LEAD MFA’s senior staff and
Board of Directors;
• You have the ability to live at LEAD MFA’s new campus in Careysburg.
Please submit a resume, two letters of recommendation (including contact details for those making the recommendations),
and a cover letter explaining why you would be a fit for this opportunity.
All applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply through the system below. no later than 11:59pm GMT on February 28, 2020.