|LABORATORY TECHNICIAN / WARM BASE
|Redemption (1 position)
Deadline for submission: Friday, December 22, 2023, at 5:00pm Liberia Time
PREVAIL, or the Partnership for Research on Vaccines and Infectious Diseases in Liberia, is a clinical research partnership between the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Liberian Ministry of Health
Summary of Position:
This position will serve as a research laboratory technician to support clinical trials and related projects. The individuals will be responsible for collection of samples, preparation of laboratory solutions, performance of research assays, documentation and reporting of results, and maintenance of the laboratory space and equipment in the space. Attention to detail is critical. Work is performed following standard operating procedures and is routinely reviewed by the PREVAIL Clinical Lab Management Team for accuracy and adherence to standards.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Follows standard operating procedures of the site laboratory for procedures including blood draws, sample accessioning, and biorepository activities such as aliquoting, storing and data entry
- Prepares laboratories buffers and reagents according to protocols and runs daily controls and calibrations
- Establishes a relationship of trust and respect with participants
- Responsible for proper donning and doffing of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for specimen collection
- Provides instructions to participants on proper collection procedures
- Responsible for preparing the specimen collection area for each use
- Performs laboratory protocols, experiments and assays according to standard operating procedures and protocols including reporting laboratory data to appropriate groups
- Records laboratory data / results and maintains appropriate laboratory records
- Performs equipment maintenance following standard operating procedures
- Follows all lab safety protocols including use of personal protective equipment.
- Prepares samples for pickups, courier deliveries, and shipments.
- Routinely monitors temperature of the laboratory and the laboratory freezers.
- Documents alarms in response to the temperature monitoring system.
- Participates in afterhours emergency response.
- Participates in process improvement activities.
- May be required to travel to other facilities to meet study needs, including but not limited to sites in New Kru Town, Monrovia, and Kakata.
- Other duties may be assigned to meet study needs.
- Maintains a safe work environment.
- Reports to work on time and perform all daily functions.
- Other duties as assigned
- Working competence with PCs including MS Windows, Excel, and Word with an ability to learn other MS/Windows based applications.
- Knowledge of methods to handle, process, and store biological specimens using a computerized storage and retrieval system.
- Knowledge of Universal Precautions, general laboratory and quality control/assurance procedures.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse groups.
- Must be able to communicate well in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to complete work under tight deadlines and have strong organizational skills.
- Have the ability to manage multiple tasks and pay attention to details.
- Working with temperature sensitive materials. Shows a core understanding of laboratory best practices and procedures.
- Must be able to work using Nitrile Gloves and other Person Protective Equipment.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Life Science OR Associate’s Degree with two (2) or more years
of experience in a related field.
- Preferred Job-related Experience: Must have at least three (3) years of clinical experience and two (2) years of experience with data entry, shipping/receiving, and/or sample management. Previous laboratory experience and experience working with a Laboratory Information System (LIS) is highly desirable.
- Additional Eligibility Qualifications: Must be a licensed Laboratory Personnel.
Click the apply button below to download the application instructions.