About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse, and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have a long-term impact.
The Program / Department / Team (Program / Department Summary)
Mercy Corps has been present in Liberia since 2003, focusing its interventions on Youth Employment and Empowerment, Food Security, WASH, and Governance. With funding from EU, AFD, USDA, And USAID, Mercy Corps has been able to work together with communities in Liberia to respond to these priorities/ needs bringing benefit to thousands of Liberians.
The Operations Department provides key support to the entire Liberia program in procurement, asset management, warehouse management, fleet management, and facilities & and office management for successful program implementation.
The Position (General Position Summary)
The Operations Officer: Logistics, will be responsible for managing and optimizing various facets of the Operations o, including Fleet Management, Warehousing, and Fuel Management. Your role is essential in ensuring the efficient flow of materials, goods, and services, as well as maintaining the reliability of our fleet and managing fuel resources.
The Operations Officer: Logistics coordinates Mercy Corps logistics activities under the direct supervision of the Operations Manager.
1. Fleet Supervision: Oversee the organization’s fleet of vehicles, ensuring they are well-maintained, safe, and compliant with regulations.
2. Vehicle Scheduling: Plan and coordinate the scheduling of vehicles to meet operational needs while optimizing fuel efficiency.
3. Maintenance and Repairs: Schedule and supervise regular vehicle maintenance, inspections, and repairs, ensuring minimal downtime.
4. Driver Training: Conduct training programs for drivers to ensure safe and responsible driving practices.
5. Inventory Control: Manage and maintain inventory levels in warehouses, ensuring accurate records and minimizing stockouts or overstock situations.
6. Storage Optimization: Oversee warehouse organization, layout, and space utilization for efficient material handling and accessibility.
7. Quality Assurance: Implement quality control measures to ensure products are stored and handled in accordance with industry standards.
8. Fuel Procurement: Oversee the procurement of fuel resources, negotiating favorable contracts, and maintaining adequate fuel stocks.
9. Consumption Monitoring: Implement systems to track fuel consumption, analyze data, and identify opportunities for fuel savings.
10. Fuel Efficiency: Develop strategies to enhance fuel efficiency across the fleet, promoting cost savings and environmental responsibility.
Documentation and Compliance:
11. Record Keeping: Maintain accurate records of vehicle maintenance, fuel consumption, and inventory levels.
12. Regulatory Compliance: Ensure compliance with relevant laws, regulations, and safety standards for transportation and warehousing.
13. Budget Planning: Assist in the preparation of logistics budgets, tracking expenditures, and identifying cost-saving opportunities.
14. Cross-functional Collaboration: Collaborate with procurement, operations, and finance teams to ensure smooth logistics operations aligned with organizational goals.
All Drivers, Mechanic Drivers, Operations Assistant
Reports Directly To: Operations Manager
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of our field projects.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
• Bachelor’s degree in Logistics, Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, or related field (or equivalent experience).
• Proven experience in logistics management, preferably in Fleet, Warehousing, and Fuel Management.
• Knowledge of fleet management software and logistics software systems. Excellent knowledge of MS Office with emphasis on Excel is a plus to the role.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent communication and negotiation abilities.
• Detail-oriented with a commitment to safety and compliance.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
● Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
Application Instruction: Click the apply button below.
The successful Operations Officer: Logistics will be good at problem-solving and can work out methods to deliver successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor regulations. S/he will maintain strong cooperative relationships with other departments and interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity while demonstrating the ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and process information in support of changing program activities. S/he will be able to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment and be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Monrovia Liberia, and it requires up to 20% travel to support country programs, which may include travel to insecure locations where freedom of movement is limited and areas where amenities are limited.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening, and evolving to become more diverse, equitable, and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal-opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants, or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC and have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. We will not tolerate child abuse in any form, sexual exploitation and abuse, or harassment by our team members or partners. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. As part of our safe recruitment process, we are sharing with you our feedback channels for your feedback during this recruitment process – let us know if you have something to share using the below channels:
Community Accountability & Reporting Mechanisms Share your feedback with us for free: Call our hotline: Orange: 4040 | Lonestar: 2525 WhatsApp: +231 775.268.976 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org