The U. S EMBASSY MONROVIA EMPLOYEES CREDIT UNION is a Private Cooperative Association, registered under the laws of the Republic of Liberia; with the main objective of improving the lives of members by: (a) Providing a means of savings;
(b) Providing loans to its members at fair but competitive rates of interest; and (c) Providing quality financial services to its members.
VACANCY #: VA-USEMCU-23-00001
OPEN TO: ALL INTERESTED CANDIDATES
POSITION TITLE: SENIOR ACCOUNTANT
OPENING DATE: December 8, 2023 CLOSING DATE: December 22, 2023 WORK HOURS: Full-time: 40 hours/week
LOCATION: U.S. Embassy, Monrovia, Liberia
PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE: Initial six months with the possibility of extension depending on need, performance, and availability of funding. This is considered a permanent position.
STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
- BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Responsible for completion and posting appropriate entries to ledger accounts, maintenance of general ledgers, reconciliations, budget, and financial reports. Performs a variety of accounting duties according to established credit union policies and procedures. Responsible for providing a variety of functions for members in person, via phone, and through email. Serves members and team members promptly and professionally.
Additional responsibilities include monthly analysis of general ledger accounts, revenue and expense analysis, and monthly financial statements. Meet the needs of our members and employees by professionally providing quick and accurate service.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Accountant will undertake the following duties and responsibilities: 1. Preparation of weekly cash analysis reports, and monthly financial reports.
- Preparation of annual budget and monthly budget performance report.
- Ensure that daily Posting and reconciliation of accounts are done weekly and Monthly. 4. Ensure the daily reconciliation of journal entry activities in the accounting reporting/posting System.
- Process all checks/transfers for members/stakeholders.
- Post transactions in various banking online platforms (ECOBANK OMNI, GT BANK GAPS, UBA ONLINE BANKING, ETC.)
- Ensure bank reconciliations are timely produced and reviewed for approval and follow-up on un reconciling items.
- Analyze, Reconcile, and post bank adjustments promptly.
- Post general ledger entries to reflect various activities; and prepare journal entries for general ledger closure.
- Assist in providing timely and accurate monthly financial statements, monthly financial management reporting package, and analysis to the Union’s leadership and stakeholders. 11. Report to the Management Team promptly.
- Prepare revenue and operational expense analysis as needed.
- Take part in necessary system upgrades or changes; thoroughly verify all financial results for all test scenarios related to reports and train the accounting staff on various new accounting software programs, changes, or upgrades when necessary.
- Analyze quarterly and end-of-year spending activities.
- Prepare payroll, and process staff taxes as required.
- Do monthly detailed analysis reports; review and analyze the balance sheet as necessary to assist in the month-end review and closure process.
- Participate in annual internal/external audits. Follow up with leadership and stakeholders to ensure audit report is implemented and issues are resolved.
- Ensure that adequate financial management routines and systems are in place, that accounting practices and standards are adhered to, and financial activities are in compliance with local laws. 19. Maintain an accurate filing system.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned.
Required Qualifications/ Evaluation Factors:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance, or Business Administration or a comparable quantitative field (master’s degree is an added advantage).
- Prior Work Experience: At least five years of experience in either professional accounting or financial management or auditing desired.
- Language Proficiency: Level III in English. Good writing skills are required.
- Knowledge: A working knowledge and understanding of professional accounting principles, theories, practices, and terminology, as well as, the principles and accepted practices of banking and business finance, accounting, budgeting, and reporting is desired.
- Skills and Abilities: Must be able to review and constructively critique basic technical and financial data orally and in writing, and a quick learner to take on more complex data as quickly as possible to perform at higher levels. Ability to perform in a team spirit and to maintain cordial and professional relationships with the Union. Should be able to assimilate, distill, prioritize, and present varied and basic processing and spreadsheets. The ability to use computer-based analytical programs and accounting systems is highly desirable.
- Supervision Received: The Senior Accountant will work under the direction of the Management Team through the Financial Secretary, or as designated by the Management Team president. The Senior Accountant will develop a personal annual performance plan, in coordination with his/her supervisor, and will be evaluated annually based on the performance plan. The employee handles the work according to governing policies and regulations.
- Supervision Exercised: 2-3 staff.
- Available Guidelines: USEMCU constitution, policies, and procedures, LCUNA regulations, CBL regulations, and GAAP
- Exercise of Judgment: The position requires extensive superior and independent situational assessment, interpretation, judgment, and timely decision-making. Originality and creative thinking are required in projecting future sector trends and developments on a timely and accurate basis.
- Authority to Make Commitments: None.
- Nature, Level, and Purpose of Contacts: The Incumbent has frequent direct contact with vendors, and Embassy staff for discussions concerning financial and non-financial activities.
- Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level: Twelve Months.
Additional Selection Criteria:
Management will consider potential nepotism/conflict of interest, and budget when reviewing candidates.
EVALUATION AND SELECTION FACTORS
The Evaluation Factors listed below will be the basis for evaluating and ranking applicants for the position. Applicants will be scored based on the documentation submitted within the application. Applicants must submit a supplemental document outlining their responses to the evaluation factor to be considered.
- Selection Process:
After the closing date for receipt of applications, a committee will convene to review applications that meet the minimum requirements and evaluate them per the
evaluation criteria. As part of the selection process, the most qualified candidates will be interviewed. Reference checks will be made only for applicants considered as finalists. The applicant’s references must be able to provide substantive information about his/her past performance and abilities.
- Evaluation Factor
Those applicants who meet the minimum education and experience qualifications will be evaluated based on the content of their application as well as on the applicant’s writing, presentation, and communication skills. Applicants should include their name and the announcement number at the top of each additional page. Failure to specifically address the Evaluation Factor will result in the applicant not receiving full credit for pertinent experience.
FACTOR: Work experience:
In 200 words or less, describe your prior work experience: Demonstrated experience in accounting, budgeting, reporting, and general financial management. Experience in reviews of internal controls, funds control, and availability. The incumbent must know about Financial Management; a history of success in one or more of the position’s responsibilities should be highlighted.
- Basis of Rating
Applicants determined to be competitively ranked will also be evaluated on their interview performance, a written test, and satisfactory professional reference checks.
The Applicant Rating System is as follows:
➢ Evaluation Factor 40 points
➢ Interview Performance 30 points
➢ Written Test 30 points
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants must submit the following documents, or their applications will not be considered for this position:
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) or resume
- A minimum of three (3) professional references, who are not family members or relatives, with working telephone and email contacts. The applicant’s references must be able to provide substantive information about his/her past performance and abilities. At least one reference provided should be a current or former supervisor.
- A supplemental document with a written response to the Evaluation Factor.
US EMBASSY MONROVIA CREDIT UNION
C/O American Embassy
Service CAC, Gibson Street
Or by e-mail to: email@example.com