Ophthalmic Nurse (f/m/d)
GoodVision Liberia (GVL) was established to bring eyecare and eyeglasses to the people of Liberia. Originally formed as a partnership with Refuge Place International in 2019, GVL was established as an independent NGO in Liberia in July 2023. GVL is a part of a global GoodVision network of organizations dedicated to providing life-transforming access to vision care and eyeglasses for all people in need. This mission is achieved through free eye screenings, affordable eyeglasses, and referrals for eye disease treatment as well as the training of local technicians to deliver programs.
The job holder is responsible for the high level of optical service quality for the assigned team, the optimal training and performance of all optical staff of the assigned team, as well as accurate and complete documentation of all optical data.
This role will report to the Optical Head Nurse.
- Supervising the optical staff and ensuring a high standard of care at each eye camp the assigned team is conducting.
- Ensuring processes for optics, stock & sales at eye camps are always followed/attended to in full.
- Supporting/conducting all activities within the global optical quality process (e.g. check lists, re-trainings, data up-load in time and full) as assigned.
- Conducting vision tests at our clinic and eye camps.
- Identifying refractive errors and offering appropriate corrections.
- Identifying eye diseases related symptoms and offering referrals where necessary. • Educating and advising patients on proper eye care e.g. in regular health talks. • Providing training in basic eye health and optics to GVL staff and staff of our partners (e.g. at clinics, other NGOs, community health volunteers).
- Organizing administrative work e.g. reporting of patient data.
- Participating in the creation of eye health awareness materials and guiding the team to conduct awareness activities.
This list is not exhaustive of all possible tasks and the role may require work outside of the responsibilities listed here.
Requirements and Experience
- Certificate in Nursing accepted in Liberia.
- Additional Education as Ophthalmic Nurse as required to maintain accreditation in Liberia (incl. membership in GOAL).
- Min. 1 year of experience as ophthalmic nurse (incl. refraction and prescription). • Team leadership skills and experience in people management, coaching and development a plus.
- Training skills; experience in training adults a real plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with patients and colleagues. • Must meet the highest standards of ethics, patient confidentiality and personal integrity.
- Cooperative, independent and pro-active working style.
- Committed, mature and engaging personality.
- High willingness to travel mainly within the country and to work under conditions found at eye camps in low-income and rural areas.
- Excellent English (written and spoken)
- IT: Office Package (esp. Microsoft including ppt and xls) and Teams.
- To Apply:
Please send your CV, a personal statement addressing how you meet the qualifications for this role and your salary expectations to email@example.com with a subject line of “Ophthalmic Nurse Application”.